Swagefast (Pty) Ltd.
09 Monument Street
Tel: +27 (0)86 117 9243
Alt. Tel: +27 (0)11 668 4600
Fax: +27 (0)11 668 4619
Send Enquiry | Company Information
The Swagefast Fastening System
Product News Tuesday, August 23, 2011: Swagefast (Pty) Ltd.
The Swagefast Fastening System
Vibration and shock can quickly impair joint reliability and affect overall product performance. When using the Swagefast Fastening System you are assured of a highly vibration resistant joint because the Collar is swaged into the annular locking grooves of the Swagebolt Pin, ensuring a permanent lock. Installation is simple, fast and virtually fool proof … even with unskilled personnel.
The shear strength of the Swagefast Swagebolt Fastening System is reason enough to specify it for heavy duty, high vibration applications. It can be used with confidence because the majority of Fasteners has been designed to meet or exceed SAE Grade 5 or ASTM A-325 and ISO (8.8) strength requirements ensuring high Clamp Force, Tensile- and Shear strength depending on the application.
The Swagefast Fastening System offers a wide variety of choices:-
Standard Swagebolts is a two-part fastener which comprises of a Swagebolt Pin with a defined breakneck and a Collar. It is available in diameters ranging from 10mm (3/8”) to 30mm (1 1/4") in carbon steel with Round- (B), Truss- (T), Countersunk- 90°deg (C) or Thread Head (TH) variations. Thread Head (TH) fasteners can accommodate a wider grip range if required and are manufactured to your requirements. When using Thread Head (TH) fasteners it is recommended that a Washer (THW) is used on the Nut side of the fastener. Collars are available in Standard (CS), Flanged (CF) and Low-Profile (LP) variations. *
Step Down (SD) oversized Swagebolts is a two-part fastener which comprises of a Swagebolt Pin with a defined breakneck and a Collar. It is used for reworked holes and where there is access limitation on the application. This innovative concept comprises of the Swagebolt shank diameter being larger to accommodate the oversized holes but the grooved section is either stepped down one or two diameter sizes to accommodate the Tool. *
Blind Rivet Swagebolts (BRL) is used where there is access limitation to the rear side of an application. This fastener works basically like an oversized “pop-rivet”. Fastener usage is limited to minimum and maximum grip ranges as well as application suitability. *
Stump Swagebolts (SL) is a two-part fastener but differs from the standard Swagebolt Pin in the sense that there is no Pintail which in turn makes it shorter. It is used where there is access limitation on the application. The Installed properties of the fastener are roughly the same as standard Swagebolt Pin with only a 10-15% reduction of Tensile Strength and Clamp Force should Low-Profile (LP) collars be used. *
Flush Break Mono Fasteners (MB) is a single part fastener and ideal for structural assembly to replace conventional fastening methods, particularly where there is access limitation of the application. It is available in Aluminium Alloy, Medium Carbon Steel and Stainless Steel, in diameters of 4.8mm (3/16”) and 6.35mm (1/4”) with Low-Profile- (LP) and Countersunk (C) head configurations. *
Bodytainer Fasteners (BF) is a two-part fastener which comprises of a pin with a defined breakneck groove and a collar. It has been designed for joining composite materials to metal framing without damaging the softer material or pulling through. The fastener also has a neoprene seal under the head which cuts down on possible condensation issues by ensuring a water tight seal. *
Flush Break Maxi Fasteners (MGB) is a two-part Grade 2 fastener which comprises of a Swagebolt Pin with multiple breaknecks and a collar. The fastener has a wide grip range that reduces rework times due to incorrect grip selection. *
* Diameter- and Application dependant
Features and Benefits of the Swagefast Fastening System:-
- Fasteners never need to be tightened/torqued because of the annular locking groove design;
- High vibration stress tests proved that fasteners consistently maintained 98 % of their pre-load;
- Visual inspections verify correct fastener installation;
- Wide grip ranges decrease fastener part numbers and inventory levels;
- Uniform clamp force is consistent;
- Long term reliable joint;
- Longer fatigue life;
- Vibration resistant;
- Virtually no rework;
- Less downtime;
- Tamper resistant/proof;
- Increased productivity;
- Lower installation costs;
- Consistent installation results;
- Improved product quality and reliability.
How to get maximum performance with Swagefast Swagebolt Pins and Collars:-
- Swagebolt Pins and Collars are lubricated to provide proper driving characteristics and should not be degreased;
- Installation surfaces should be normal 90°degree to the Swagebolt Pin axis. Spot face for other conditions;
- Collars may be driven on surfaces inclined to a maximum of 1 in 20 from the Swagebolt Pin axis;
- Collars may be driven on curved surfaces with a minimum radius of 3 times the Swagebolt Pin diameter;
- Collars should be removed from the application by splitting them axially with a Collar Splitter;
- Should replacement be necessary, if the hole sizing is not worn or oversize a Swagebolt Pin of the same diameter be used. If the hole sizing is worn or oversize, a larger diameter Swagebolt Pin should be used.
What to remember when selecting your Swagefast Fastening System:-
- The material of the fastener or its coating should be compatible with the application’ material;
- The fastener diameter is determined by the Shear-and Tensile strength required;
- The fastener length is determined by the total material thickness that requires fastening. Order by diameter required and the total material thickness that requires fastening;
- It is recommended that a Standard (CS) collar is used where the holes on the application does not exceed the maximum hole sizing specifications;
- It is recommended that a Flanged (CF) collar is used where the holes on the application are worn or sizing exceeds the maximum hole sizing specifications;
- Fastener Head styles are determined by clearance requirements.
Swagefast Installation Equipment/Tooling Systems work with the fastener to pull and clamp the application together with ease and safety in mind. An Installation Equipment System comprises of a Tool, Nose Assembly, Hose Set and Powerig Unit. The Powerig drives the Tool and the Nose Assembly provides the installation link between the Fastener and the Tool. Installation Tools and Nose Assemblies are designed to install specific Fastener types and diameters. The choice of the Installation Equipment system is determined by the Fastener Type, -Diameter, Application and intended usage.
INNOVATIVE FASTENING SYSTEMS FOR INCREASED PRODUCTIVITY