Metallurgical Technologies, Inc.
Scanning Electron Microscopy / Micro-Analysis
Scanning Electron Microscopy and Energy Dispersive Spectrometry SEM/EDS
Our Scanning Electron Microscope and Energy Dispersive X-Ray Spectrometer (SEM/EDS) can examine and analyze samples at magnifications from 5X to 200,000X. Both the microstructure and fracture surface are analyzed.
The fracture surface topography revealed at high magnification indicates:
- type of stress (tensile, shear, torsional)
- mode of fracture (ductile, brittle, fatigue, overload)
- direction of fracture propagation
- area and mechanism of fracture initiation
- manufacturing or repair related factors contributing to the failure
- other factors related to cause of failure
MTi has two commercial SEM/EDS systems and is one of very few labs with these systems that is strictly dedicated to metallurgical analysis and corrosion-investigations in the Southeast.
SEM/EDS Chemical Analysis
Chemical Analysis of microscopic particles or regions within a sample analyzed in the Scanning Electron Microscope. Energy Dispersive Spectrometer (EDS) micro-analysis is performed by measuring the energy and intensity distribution of X-ray signals generated by a focused electron beam on the specimen (EDS). With the attachment of the energy dispersive spectrometer, the elemental composition of materials can be obtained.
Click here for more Product Details from
Metallurgical Technologies, Inc....